Insider Tips: What to Pack for Your Safari Adventure
As you prepare for your thrilling Africa Safari, packing for the adventure becomes a tangible reality. You can already envision yourself on captivating game drives, capturing the majestic big cats with your camera, and unwinding around a campfire or boma after an action-packed day of safari. As you plan your lodge or tent stay, the right clothing, essential gear, and toiletries come to mind – just in case. Here are some insider packing tips to ensure you have everything you need for an incredible safari experience.
Guidelines Before Packing:
- Divide Clothing: If you’re traveling with a partner, distribute clothing between suitcases in case one bag gets lost during transit.
- Carry Important Documents: Keep essential documents like passports, wallets, visas, credit cards, insurance, and prescriptions in your hand luggage.
- Carry Prescription Medications: Hand-carry prescription medications and other important items like aspirin, Imodium, malaria pills, and allergy medication.
- Protect Expensive Equipment: Keep valuable items like phones, cameras, and binoculars with you as carry-on luggage.
- Minimal Jewelry: Keep jewelry to a minimum and store it securely and within sight.
- Use a Shoulder Bag and Money Belt: A shoulder bag is handy for keeping essential items, and a money belt provides extra security for credit cards and currency.
- Avoid Plastic Bags: In Kenya, supermarket-style plastic bags are prohibited, so opt for fabric bags instead.
- Light Aircraft Baggage Limit: If you’ll be flying on light aircraft within the country, note that baggage weight is limited to 15 kilograms (33 lbs.), including camera gear. Additional luggage can be stored at your hotel in Nairobi.
- Casual Summer Clothes: Safaris in Kenya typically take place in warmer climates, so pack easy-to-wash and quick-drying casual summer clothing.
- Opt for Neutral Colors: Neutral colors are ideal as they don’t absorb heat or show safari dust. Avoid bright colors, as they can attract flies.
- Layering: For cool mornings and evenings, layering is the best way to stay comfortable.
- Sun Protection: Bring long pants and long-sleeved shirts to protect against the sun, and don’t forget sunscreen or sunblock for extended outdoor exposure.
- Comfortable Footwear: Choose comfortable footwear like tennis shoes or sneakers. If hiking is on the agenda, consider lightweight over-ankle boots.
- Light Jacket: A light jacket is essential for varying temperatures during the day.
- Swimming Gear: Most accommodations have swimming pools, so pack a swimsuit for some relaxing pool time.
With these insider tips, you’ll be well-prepared for your African safari adventure. As experienced safari guides, we have plenty more packing tips to offer, so stay tuned for more Africa Kenya Safari insights in the future. Happy packing and enjoy your safari!